From:
Patrik Enander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 11:13:05 +0100
Don wrote:

>Being a major Bach fan and not having the long-term mind of Ian Crisp, I
>thought it might be interesting to get the list's opinion of the best Bach
>recording in 1999.

Since Simon took the liberty to expand the question,(good to see you
on this list, Simon), I will take it even further, very well aware that
I'm perverting the question even more so I'm not confining me to the
CDs released in 1999 but to the CD s I've enjoyed most Like Simon I will
pick three:

1.  Ich hatte viel Bekummernis, BWV 21, Am Abend des selbigen Sabbats, BWV
42 Barbara Schlick (sop), Gerard Lesne (alto), Howard Crook (ten), Peter
Harvey (bass in BWV 21), Peter Kooy (bass in BWV 42) La Chapelle Royal,
Collegium Vocal/ Phillipe Herreweghe Harmonia Mundi, HMC 901328, 1990

I've raved about this CD a couple of times but it is still a favourite.
I know that there are people out there who can't stand Schlick.  She is not
a favourite of mine, but I find her enjoyable.  But listen to Gerard Lesne,
a counter-tenor of distinction, he has such a secure technique an he really
communicates, perhaps not as beautiful as Scholl but more involving.  Lesne
is right now the baroque singer that I enjoy the most The tenor Howard
Crook is very good,aswell.  The choir is also excellent, I am especially
fond of the altos where Herreweghe employs 3 male and one female singer.
It adds a lot of energy when the alto is sung by men.  The oboe is
prominent is many parts and is played by Marcel Ponseele, who must be Gods
gift to the oboe.  His warm and supple tone is immediately recognisable.

2.  Cello Suites BWV 1007-1012 Peter Wispelway (vc) Channel Classics, ccs
12298,1998

An excellent period performance set.  Wispelway; really gets into the music
and plays beautifully.

3.  English Suites No 2,4 & 5 Murray Perahia (pf) Sony, SK 60277, 1999

Murray Perahia is a superb pianist, and this set has dazzled me.  He
is so supple and subtle that you forget that the piano is a percussive
instrument.  He really loves this music and it's a joy to listen him.

Sorry Don for perverting your question but it started a train of thought
that couldn't be stopped!

Patrik Enander <[log in to unmask]>