From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 16:12:25 PST
Being a major Bach fan and not having the long-term mind of Ian Crisp,
I thought it might be interesting to get the list's opinion of the best
Bach recording in 1999.  I'll tally whatever results come in, and the only
requirements are that the recording was issued around the 1999 time frame
and that you say something (anything) as to why you consider your selection
an excellent one.

I think there have been many superb Bach recordings over the past year.
Some that stand out are Schepkin's Well Tempered Clavier, Book 1 (Ongaku),
St. John Passion from Suzuki (BIS), one or two volumes of the cantatas
from Koopman (Erato) and Suzuki (BIS), and Tureck's Goldberg Variations
from DG.

The above are all great, but I'm going with Angela Hewitt's WTC, Book 2
from Hyperion.  As the years go by, Hewitt keeps maturing as an artist
of great inspiration.  I think she has hit a new peak with Book 2.  She
performed every prelude and fugue as if she had a direct connection to
Bach's mind.  The imagery within me has never been as strong as with her
set.  Recorded sound is excellent.  Hewitt delivers the entire package.
Get her Book 1 also and enjoy a great evening/night of some of the best
music ever written.

Don Satz