From:
"Aaron J. Rabushka" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:35:18 -0600
A couple of nights ago I got my first taste of Fort Worth's resident HIP
group, called (simply enough) Fort Worth Early Music.  (Myself I think that
Cowtown Baroque would be catchier, but I don't think that the majority of
their members would go for it.) They did a Handel program featuring the
Water Music interspersed with several arias from opera and oratorio.  All
told it was one of the best concerts I've yet been to.  Lively, buoyant
Handel through which it was hard to keep my feet still.  The players (some
of whom also play with the Fort Worth Symphony) were clearly on top of this
music.  This was the first time I've ever heard natural horns live and
listening to their hand-stopping renditions it's hard to believe that this
music should be played any other way.  One of the arias (from Rodelinda,
IIRC) had a killer oboe obbligato that blew everyone away.  My only gripes
involved some missed notes here and there and an occasionally muddy middle
register.

Countertenor Ryland Angell joined them for the arias which he delivered in
a voice that blended perfectly with the instruments and projected a solid
but never overbearing presence.  I even enjoyed the "He was despised..."
number from "Messiah," an aria I usually don't like.  It's good to know
that we North Texans can go for Baroque and have it sound this good.

Aaron J. Rabushka
http://www.cowtown.net/users/arabushk