From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 15:26:28 -0400
Roger Hecht wrote:

>Norman Schwartz wrote:
>
>>Just "he had never heard a recording of it" very probably makes JG wrong.
>>From what little I remember HvK and JG didn't get along well when JG was
>>in *HIS ORCHESTRA*.
>
>Long ago, I heard that Karajan disdained beards and did not appreciate
>Galway's having one.

In a radio interview, Galway told the story of his audition w/ Karajan's
orchestra.  It was a difficult flight over, w/ some missed connections,
etc., and JG got there after auditions had closed and was told so.  He put
up a stink, pointing out what he had had to do to get there and insisting
upon being given a chance to audition.  They offered to reimburse him for
his expenses.  He refused to be mollified and they grudgingly relented and
let him play.  Then they offered him the position and he turned it down.

Walter Meyer