From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:25:25 PDT
Juozas Rimas wrote in part:

>Now I'm hesitating if I should go to the library and listen to another
>piece by a composer that has to hammer his head into something to write
>music.  I need your opinions about John Cage....

Naxos has recently issued John Cage: Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared
Piano (1946-48), 8.559042.  By putting objects such as screws, small,
medium and large bolts, rubber and plastic strips and pencil erasers on
the strings, Cage, in these short works, reminds us that the piano is a
percussion instrument.  The range of sounds is pretty extensive, sounding,
at times, to me, like gamelan instruments.  According to the booklet, these
works show "his interest in Eastern thought" and "Hindu aesthetics." These
works are enjoyable.  Try them, Juozas, you may like them.

Ron Chaplin