From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:49:24 PDT
A few weeks ago, I picked up a sampler on the NARM label called "The Best
11 of '99 - Classical Greatness in the making." The first track is the
first movement of Handel's Concerto Grosso No.  5, Op.  6, performed by
the Academy of Ancient Music, Andrew Manze, director.  Of course, I can't
decide on the worth of a recording by listening to one track, but I was
disappointed by what I heard.  A few years ago, I bought the Op.  3 and
Op.  6 concertos performed by Concentus Musicus Wien and Harnoncourt.  The
opening movement of concerto No.  5, Op.  6, is one of my favorites.  The
music is very majestic, played much louder than the AAM.  Non-HIP?.  Larger
ensemble? When I hear it, I imagine the crowd parting as the monarch and
his lady slowly enter the chamber.  The AAM track sounds much more subdued.
HIP? Smaller ensemble?

I was wondering what other members thought of the Concentus Musicus
Wien/Harnoncourt recording.

Ron Chaplin