From:
Juozas Rimas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 12:53:49 +0300
I needed two days to appreciate Bach's three-part inventions performed
by Glenn Gould.  At first I didn't understand a thing, hearing a stream
of seemingly unrelated notes...  Later, with each subsequent listening,
inventions started to 'hatch'.  Nr.  2,5 and 11 'hatched' to something
amazing - very original on the one hand and also a sort of 'embryonic'
Chopin, romantic music of the early 1700s, that's to say.  Now I can't
fully agree with Bob Draper who once said (quoting from memory) that I
shouldn't be afraid of not liking some Mozart's pieces.  I'll probably go
back to them expecting them to blossom after attentive listening.  Anyway,
classical music is meant to be listened many times, it's not drum&bass...

Returning to Bach.  Could you express your opinion on his inventions? Some
of them seem to be too pedagogic (especially the fast ones) and I'm very
afraid of it because it often means I'll have to skip the track not feeling
that the work was composed with true inspiration).  Thanks.

Juozas Rimas