From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 21:35:18 -0400
Thanh-Tam Le stated:

>The reason why (Oskar) Nedbal committed suicide was that he was held
>responsible for financial problems encountered by the Czech Philharmonic
>Orchestra, of which he was the chief conductor.

Not so.  In 1930 Vaclav Talich was chief conductor of the Czech
Philharmonic, and had held that post from 1919, remaining until 1941.
Nedbal was director of the orchestra earlier, from 1896-1906, when it was
known as the Bohemian Philharmonic.  According to my handy desk reference,
Nedbal was conductor of the Vienna Volksoper at the time of his death.
Another list member may have more details.

John Dalmas