From:
Mark Seeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:23:42 -0400
Bob Draper wrote:

>What version were you listening to? I think the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra
>(DG) are best on this particular work.

That is exactly the Haydn CD I am listening to.  It was one of those rare
finds in a used CD shop. It had two Haydn interpretations I did not have
in my collection and the OCO are a good band.

>Rosemary Hughes in her book on Haydn in the 'Master Musicians' series
>describes this as a "mock heroic work".  She thinks Haydn is joking.

He probably is to a great extent.  Bill Hong wrote a wonderful post on this
list several months back saying that. . .

>Haydn is more subtle in the way he does these things, which is why an
>attentive listener will be rewarded more than will a casual one.  In
>essence, I see from him a delight in breaking the rules, without
>necessarily breaking the china while doing so.

I hear in this symphony much of the unexpected.  Haydn does stuff in this
particular work you just don't anticipate.  It wasn't so much an emotional
roller-coaster experience for me as it was the element of surprise.

>Mark, I guess you have many more Haydn symphonies to go.  I can promise you
>many more enjoyable experiences.

I do, but on the other hand, I have a nice cross-selection of his works
that keeps me very satisfied.  Laus Dei!

Mark