From:
Edwin Pang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 12:47:40 +0100
Renato Vinicus wrote:

>I really would like to have heard the concert.  I have a few versions of
>these concerts, but not the one with Gilels - a pianist that I never had
>the lucky to find a record that could justify his enormous prestige, indeed
>I believe he might have - that you commented.  Did you ever heard them with
>Thomas Vasary? Today it is a reference for me; better, in my point of view,
>then Arrau - great too.

IIRC, the Sony disc that is being referred to here only has Gilels playing
the 1st piano concerto; the 2nd is played by Andre Watts.

As for Tamas Vasary, he made several good recordings of various Chopin
pieces for DG; poetic and lyrical, but on the understated side for me.
I think he now does a fair bit of conducting, the results of which are on
ASV.  I think he has done the 2 concertos twice, once on DG and once with
ASV, conducting from the keyboard.  But there are many versions of the 2
piano concertos out there that are worth a listen.

Ed Pang