From:
Andreas von Doebeln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:34:14 +0200
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Juozas Rimas wrote:
>
>>What other performers would you recommend?
>
>Complete Chopin by Idil Biret on Naxos. Budget priced, but excellent.

I second that!

>I hope that this is not another example of the "big names" syndrome which
>is damaging to classical music IMHO.

Sure!  Speaking about a stringquartett performance in Wien, where the
members were students at the conservatory, and people said to me: "Ain't
it wonderful!  A SQ performance by real Vienniese musicians!" But what
should be so extreavagant about this?? Students are students at any
conservatory.  But I wanted to say that there is truly in CM a "big
names-syndrome" as Mister Draper so fittingly labels it.  Thats why I love
NAXOS, those Beethoven symphonies by Philharmonica Hungaria ain't that bad.
The eaststates were better: they didn't allow those who weren't good
enough to stand in the light, although the light might habve made them
bigger or not!  Threrefore they haven't that large output as Wien (if we
now thake that example) can show to have, but still great in quality!

Andreas von Doebeln