From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:00:18 -0500
Hagen Fuerstenau asks:

>The recent thread about twelve-tone-music (to avoid the d-word...  ;-) has
>got me curious about Schoenberg and so, after having enjoyed "Verklaerte
>Nacht" some time ago, I thought the first two string quartets would be the
>right way to go towards atonality.

I'm not big on the first string quartet, though I love the second.  The
other two constitute, as far as I'm concerned, penance, but I've heard only
the old Juilliard recordings of the quartets.  In general, I think you have
the right idea.  Take the trip Schoenberg took.

>So here's my (obvious) question: What recordings can you recommend?
>Also I'd be interested in what to go for after that in atonality /
>twelve-tone-music.  I'd like to try an opera.  "Moses und Aaron"? Or
>Berg's "Lulu"?

Try the Piano Concerto and the op.  50 ("Dreimal tausend Jahre" and "De
profundis").  By me, Lulu is a far better opera than Moses (though not
at all a better person).  Michael Gielen and Hans Rosbaud are wonderful
Schoenberg conductors.  For the choral music, I'd recommend Ortner.
Sorry I don't have the numbers at hand.

Steve Schwartz