From:
Felix Delbrueck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 00:44:03 +1200
Ed Zubrow replied to me a few days ago:

>As I've mentioned before, it took the Landowska recording to open my ears
>to the Goldberg's.  Ironically, now that I have also heard and appreciated
>several other versions on both piano and harpsichord, I'm not nearly as
>enamored of the Landowska as I was at first.

Having myself just bought the Landowska G.  Variations (1933) and being
in the first stages of admiration (after listening to the Variations a
second time, through the little speaker of my computer, I am just starting
to guess at the glories buried both in the old shellack of Landowska's
recording and in Bach's own writing - the process of revelation has begun)
- I can't fathom what you now find objectionable in her performance.  Does
it have to do with her very interpretation of the work, or is it just that
her instrument and rather striking colours have started to get on your
nerves (ie is it her musical ideas or the way in which she presents them?)

Felix Delbruck