From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 15:16:27 +0000
Mark Seeley Said:

>Yesterday, I listened for the first time to Symphony # 80 in D Minor which
>he completed in 1784.  Haydn begins this work with a very serious beginning
>which suddenly gives way to a farcical little second theme.  It shocks;
>the serious beginning then the flippant, trivial contrast.  This dynamic
>continues throughout the symphony.  The middle movements are peaceful and
>tender, even the minuet borders on the austere.  Then comes the tumultuous
>finale in D major with dislocated syncopations that brought a wide smile to
>my face.

What version were you listening to? I think the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra
(DG) are best on this particular work.

Rosemary Hughes in her book on Haydn in the 'Master Musicians' series
describes this as a "mock heroic work".  She thinks Haydn is joking.

Yet I find this symphony as moving as anything written by anyone.  If
fact I have to ration exposure to it because if I'm not in the mood it
can depress.  When the finale comes it is always welcome to relieve the
tension.  Actually, in most of Haydn's post sturm und drang symphonies,
even in minor key he doesn't leave the listener feeling down at the end.

No 90 is similar to 80 in many ways.  It's a hard journey but it has a
happy ending.  These symphonies are almost like romantic works in this
respect.  It's an emotional experience.

This is why I love the Guy so much.

Fair do's Mozart played his part.  He loved No 80 and conducted the first
performance in Paris!

Mark I guess you have many more Haydn symphonies to go.  I can promise you
many more enjoyable experiences.

Bob Draper