Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 16:20:04 +0100
>Hello, everyone! My name is Kerry Luskey and I'm new to the l*st. My
>question for the group is  - I've recently read an article by Dr. George
>Wootan, who is a Family Practitioner and Medical Associate for LLL. In
>this article, he states that of the 37 known immunities in breastmilk, 17
>of these are destroyed, never to be replaced again, as soon as ANYTHING
>other than breastmilk is introduced, even a bottle of water. Apparently it
>has something to do with the introduction of e. coli bacteria. This
>article was originally published in "Mother Earth News" magazine, but the
>version I read is at the following URL:
>
>http://www.naturalchild.com/guest/george_wootan.html

I am sure Dr Wootan is a  nice guy and he is certainly in favour of
breastfeeding - but even a quick read of his article reveals some errors.
For example, it is *not* true that a bf mother needs 3500 calories a day,
and it *not* true that she should restrict time at the breast in the early
days to avoid nipple soreness, and it is *not* true that exposing nipples
to the air in pregnancy is beneficial....

I too would like a reference for his statement about 17 known immunities
being destroyed - I mean, of course it could be true, but references to the
study that showed it would be good.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK