From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 15:33:15 -0400
On Fri, 28 May 1999, Irene Scopelliti wrote:

>And what abut Szerying s & p? IMHO the BEST recording!
>
>[For a modern instrument performance, I'm with Irene.  -Dave]

We are talking about Bach Sonatas and Partitas, btw.

There were TWO versions, and one was much more live than the other.  I can
never decide who I like "best", but Szerying is right up there in my top 25
or 30.  It would be easier for me to name the handful of performances that
I am NOT very fond of.  But I won't.

Here are a few lesser-known gems:

Novotny is one violinist worth seeking out.  He does something terrific
with his bow in order to sustain certain notes of chords in the fugue
movements.  Very romantic style.

And at the other extreme: Sergiu Luca has a very interesting HIP set.
Not to everyone's taste, because he plays everything very differently
from any other performer.  I practically wore out the grooves of the
vinyl recordings we had.  It's been out in cd for several years.  Highly
recommended, but only for the adventurous.

Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>