From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 08:21:22 -0400
Jon Johanning wrote:

>The current "play Mozart to your baby to make it a genius" trend sets my
>teeth on edge because it only reinforces the notion that it is music that
>only geniuses can like.

It sets mine on edge since it smacks of yet another con to sell books,
this time by promising a new, easy way to enhance people's power -- this
time, through an automatic, research-assured increase in their babies'
intelligence.

I don't think goading credulous non-fans of CM with anything like the "make
money, win prizes" kind of promises helps anyone (beyond profitting those
writers, of course).

Then again, those who take it beyond the cute-subject-for-idle-chatter
stage, who buy the books and tapes and implement its bizarre program, might
find out that that the pleasures that CM provides are its own ample reward.

Bert Bailey