From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 23:23:42 PDT
Dan McLaughlin wrote:

>In a similar vein how about his complete cantatas, any thoughts?

Having a strong preference for period instruments in Baroque music,
I can't recommend Rilling although he does use fine soloists.

The thoughts that come to my mind concern what I assume is a hefty price
tag attached to a complete cantata set.  I'd sure want to have an excellent
notion of what I was getting; I would suggest sampling the series before
buying.

I can't deny that from what I've listened to of the series, if you insist
on modern instruments, you might well think highly of Rilling.

Although I spend much on music, that price tag for the cantatas is a big
deal to me.  I've never bought a set larger than the Beethoven symphonies.

Don Satz