From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 07:32:53 -0700
Patrik Enander <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>If the companys wanted to save money I must be cheaper to translate one
>essay instead of getting 4 writers to write one each...

Not necessarily.  I was involved fifteeen years ago in buying a Swiss
publishing company which had made itself vulnerable simply through the
extraordinarily high translation costs of producing four monolingual
editions of the same two magazines.  The solution we later implemented was
to expand the content through editorial and -- after much soul-searching --
cancel the non-English editions.  We lost very little circulation and
improved the profitability enormously.

What this says about the value which publishers put on quality content, of
course, is an entirely different story!

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA