From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 12:47:04 -0700
Don Satz writes:

>I've had little exposure to the music of Conlon Nancarrow and would like
>to change that.  I have two questions: how would you categorize his music?

Nancarrow's music is like Messian's, except loud and overbearing.:)

>what would be a good starting point?

The 20th Century!  I would definitely ease into this music, living with
some Bartok, Ligeti, or the first chamber symphony of Schoenberg for
awhile.  (Forgive me if you are familiar with the above or similar styles,
from the list I thought you leaned heavily towards 18th Century chamber
music.) But who knows? At least we can sell stuff back nowadays.

John Smyth