From:
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 14:54:52 +1000
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Bert Bailey wrote:
>
>>Michael Easton (b. 1954): Concerto on Australian Themes; Concerto for Piano
>>Accordion, Piano and Strings; An Australian in Paris; Beasts in the Bush;
>>and an Overture.  It was an Australian ensemble or orchestra
>
>I've wondered about the Easton, too because I generally like the
>Austrailian composers.  I don't know why I never bought this.  Maybe it's
>something about the titles.  And an accordian piece.  Maybe something about
>that, too.

Anyone who knows anything about Australian cultural divides will understand
why a rather well-informed Sydneysider expresses no surprise when he hasn't
heard of a (apparently) popular Melbourne composer (& for those who don't:
Sydney/Melbourne makes East Coast/West Coast US or Guanzhou/Beijing seem
like baby's spats).  The music is pleasantly from the center, holding, &
superbly crafted (almost a redundancy in this century's CM; but a credit
which should never be totally overlooked); but without any real sparks of
memorability...  more enjoyable to experience that really listen to, i
suspect.  Haven't really had any great motivation to rehear this disc,
either; & i'm more sympathetic to the lighter side of contemporary CM than
many on this list.

The concerto is fun; though i doubt the average non-Ocker would struggle to
understand the cross-references; while _Beasts_ is a fairly uncompromising
knock-off of Prokofieff (big surprise there, i guess).  The accordian
concerto offers susport for the theory that the world is divided into two
camps:  those who think writing accordian concerti should be a cpaital
offence; & those who think death's too good for them....

In reference to another point:  from print advertisements, it appears that
this disc has been released in @ least some European territories; but that
can't be taken as guaranteeing that it will find its way into the US....

All the best,

Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
<http://www.ausnet.net.au/~clemensr/welcome.htm>