From:
James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 12:53:44 +0200
Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Are you sure that Mr. Reizen "turned off his critical and reasoning
>apparatus" to sing Wotan's farewell? Although worshipping pagan gods
>is clearly outside any form of the Jewish religion there is nothing
>anti-semitic in "Die Walkure," or, for that matter, in any other part of
>the Ring cycle. (Note that I do not consider sketch notes to be part of
>the finished product.)

No, there are no anti-semitism, but well racism; remember Siegmund and
Sieglinde, what means; "We Germans shall not mix our blood with other
races"!

>This seems to be another occasion to recall some of the prominent Jewish
>Wagner conductors of past and present: Hermann Levi, Bruno Walter, Georg
>Solti, James Levine, and Daniel Barenboim to name a few.

Solti a jew? I didn't know that...

Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Harry Davis wrote:
>
>>Wagner was one of the larger and more flaming jerks on the globe.
>
>If Harry wants to "trash" his Wagner discs, that's his business; he bought
>them.

Look, half a year ago there were a warpo who sent in his little essay to
the local paper, and he described how he learned to love the music of Hugo
Alfven.  He wrote dithyrammbically on the power of the third symphony, of
the mystic wooden mood in the thrid rapsody etc, than he tells how he got
to know that Alfven was a nazi.  There are some circumstances here; it used
to be said so as Alfven in 1941 went to the occupied Oslo and conducted his
work "Gustavus II Adolphus Suite", and additionally that he around 1939
took part in a demonstration to keep the swedish musical life purely
Swedish.  The thing was that the foregin musicians who came to Sweden at
that time was mainly jews escaping from nazi Germany.  The writer tell
further that now he could hear in the music that the music was evil and the
composer was an evil soul.  But *I* wonder; how can one hear that? Is the
nazism to be heard in a certain accord, a certain melody, or a certain
combiantion of notes? I think it is nonsence claiming that nazism can be
heard in someones music, although Sjostakovitj, whom I have a great respect
for, always claimed that he could hear in a persons music ...Wagner,
Muradelli...if the music came from an evil person.

James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>