From:
Ray Bayles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 08:35:48 -0600
I think we have to separate the music from the social behavior of the
composer.  It is easy to prepare a long list of despicable things about
people who gave us great music...  we have some composers who were
pedophiles, some who hated Jews, some who ranted against the poor and
downtrodden, some that abused women...  or men.  Many who took awful
political positions.  We could have quite a long list and hot discussion
about composer with all kinds of perversions.  But nothing would we could
say about their behavior would take away from their astonishing music.
Wagner, Britten, Bruckner, early music from the time of the crusades..
A lot of good work has come from bad minds and souls.

Ray Bayles