From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:15:22 -0500
Writes Richard Morrison:

>Well actually the last few pages of the Mahler Eighth are as good as it gets.

More interesting than his opinions is the tone of Morrison's article, which
borders on both condescension and a kind of self contempt.  Yes, our lives
are imbedded in the quotidian, but we need now and again to transcend that
state of affairs as well as we can.  And great art is a means of doing
this.  BUT....we also need to learn to love the ordinary fabric of our
lives IMHO.

Enough of this stuff- I'm going to Tower Records.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University