From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:01:15 -0500
Noboru Inoue evaluates the listener's contribution to the musical division
of labor as:

>none, except financing .....

I disagree.  Of course I would say that on ideological grounds, because I
am a .....LISTENER!!!  But there are solid reasons as well.Performers love
to say that they have insights based on performing the music which mere
listeners cannot possibly share.  O.K.  I grant that.

Nonetheless let me present my Quantum Theory of Music, based on the
precept that listening to music is a MEASUREMENT, and measurements involve,
many quantum mechanics think, CONSCIOUSNESS.  So music is observer created
reality- the composer and the performer are obviously essential, but until
the sounds are heard and noted by a listener, it just ain't music.

Alright, I overstate the case.  Still, no listeners means: no music, and
not just for financial reasons.  Listeners, either in large groups or in
coteries, are essential because SOMEONE has to detect and process and
respond to the sound waves.  The score is just the software.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University