From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 08:12:18 -0500
John Detwiler:

>...  I'm looking for the perfect college for me which would be:
>
>Rural
>10,000-20,000 students
>mostly undergrad
>Excellent Music Ed. program
>Good Performance program
>Excellent Music Theory, lit, musicology, etc.
>Good horn professor.
>Within eight hours of Northern Indiana.
>Very good general academic program

Let me put in a plug for my alma mater, Oberlin College.  The only
criterion it fails to meet is that it has way fewer than 10,000 students.
I had a wonderful four years there.

In fairness, I should report that some of my fellow students weren't as
happy for the following reasons.

1.  Not only rural, but isolated.  Some people, especially those from large
cities, went stir crazy.  I liked it.  It forced us to come up with our own
entertainment.

2.  Not only isolated, but students - unless they had jobs they needed to
get to - couldn't have cars.

3.  (This is a consideration mainly for parents) It cost the earth then,
and I doubt it has gotten any cheaper.

4.  Oberlin was the birthplace of the Women's Christian Temperance Union.
When I was there, over thirty years ago, it was a dry town.  Near-beer was
the best you could do.  Probably more people did marijuana and heroin than
drank, because of simple availability.

5.  This is rural Ohio.  A good meal is hard to come by.

Steve Schwartz