From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:31:16 -0500
Bill(Y) responds to me:

>>Bazzano, however, makes a great point right away: "With apologies to the
>>National Rifle Association: instruments don't play music; people do." The
>>fetishist weed of the HIP (historically-informed performance) movement
>>regarding "authentic" instruments as the single path to glory, to the
>>extent that it has risen, needs a thorough rooting.
>
>I may be "ODD" [come to think of it = AM odd); But "JSBach Period
>Music" on a Piano = gives me the "Heeby-Jeebies" something shocking??

One man's meat.  I, on the other hand, have never heard a harpsichord
performance of Bach's solo keyboard music that has satisfied me as much as
the readings of any number of pianists.  On the other hand, the harpsichord
concerti sound better to me with harpsichord(s), as do the accompanied
sonatas.  I'm not sure why.  It may be that I consider the Bach solo
keyboard stuff more "contemporary," and therefore the use of the
harpsichord strikes me as jarring as seeing Goodfellas in powdered
wigs and 18th-century hose.

Steve Schwartz