From:
Santu De Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:22:51 -0400
Andrew Carlan:

>I guess once I got started I just didn't know when to stop. So I stopped
>arbitrarily.  But these are along hundreds of tunes I can't forgot.
>
>Bach
>Lobe den Herren
>Nun Danket Alle Gott
>Eine Feste Burg
>and hundreds of other chorales

Most of there were traditional tunes; only the harmony is Bach, actually.
(I could be wrong).

One of my favorites is the Qui Sedes from the B minor mass.  OK, that's not
a great tune.  How about Sto:lzel's "Bist Du bei Mir"?

>Haydn
>2nd mv't String Qt. op. 76/2 "Deutschand"

Ah!  This one was written in conscious emulation of the measured tones of:
God Save the King.  So much for "irrefutably..."

>Handel
>Every Valley
>I Know That My Redeemer Liveth

Even better: "O thou that tellest good tidings to Zion" ... what a song!
And "The trumpet shall sound", with the beautiful middle section so often
omitted; and "How beautiful are the feet," and ....

>Mendelssohn
>O Rest in the Lord (Elijah)

Oh yes..

>Schubert
>Ave Maria (probably the most beautiful tune ever written)
>Schoene Mullerin
>Die Forelle

This one reminds me of The Foggy Foggy Dew by Britten...

>Schumann
>Nussbaum

Indeed

>Dvorak
>Second mv't from the New World Symphony

I really like Massenet's Meditation (from Thai:s)..

Archimedes