From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 21:35:45 -0400
Mark Shanks wrote:

>WHAT is this "Music for the Millenium"? I haven't seen any discs labelled
>as such - are they in the "soundtrack" section, or "world music" (another
>horrible term....) section, or maybe they just haven't made their way to
>the junior-varsity cities?

I was just in a local Borders the other day and saw some on their kiosk
devoted to CDs and books mentioned on NPR.  I just looked at them briefly,
but they seemed to be reissues of standard CM disks (presumably Sony ones),
repackaged with a uniform, somewhat classy-understated cover design.  They
appear to be grouped by era--I saw one of medieval stuff, another
Renaissance, and an LvB 9th (by Szell, I think).

In other words, nothing that would particularly interest members of this
list.  But they might intrigue some CM new-comers, and they are certainly
preferable to the "Mozart Brain Food" kind of thing.  So perhaps not all
of Mr. Gelb's ideas for expanding the CM audience are terrible.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]