From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 20:52:42 -0500
Eric Kisch wrote:

>I won't defend NPR on this because I expected more.  With TV news, I don't
>expect anything.
>
>A response from the network to my email showed that the Menuhin segment
>was under three minutes, the Oscar film scores segment was over 15 minutes!
>As a measure of relative importance of the items, this sucks.

I also get very impatient with NPR devoting an enormous amount of
attention on many programs to what I consider pop junk music, but then I
have to remind myself that, even among the erudite (relatively speaking)
NPR audience, people with my musical tastes are a distinct minority.  And
after all, every broadcast medium, even public ones, caters to the majority
of its own clientele.

On the other hand, I was rather startled, in listening to "[Sm]all Things
Considered" tonight, that almost every snippet of between-story music
was CM.  Obviously, this was a deliberate choice by whoever makes these
selections, and it made this normally very boring program almost pleasant.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]