From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:31:58 +0200
John Dalmas wrote:

>I am amazed at the arrogance of certain critics I have encountered on
>this list, whom I would categorize not as "record collectors" but as
>"record PURCHASERS," whose "droit de seigneur" seems to be based on the
>number of recordings they have recently added to their collections, rather
>than the perceptivity and discrimination in matters of taste and judgment
>that should be the natural consequence of a lifetime of listening to music
>seriously.

Although heading for bankruptcy as a record PURCHASER since joining the
list, my appreciation of MCML and its members is quite to the contrary
of the above.

I imagine that anyone who reads most postings carefully, and objectively
at least at first, never superficially skimming through, cannot possibly
subscribe to the above opinion, whoever the "critic" in question.  Irony
in recent posts is probably the best way to express this, but as a usually
more silent list-member, I am speaking out in all simplicity.

MCML has taught me a great deal in six short months. I value many listers'
opinions, and appreciate their sharing their knowledge. John Dalmas's
assessment has shaken me, but not in my convictions.

I have also learnt how and when not to speak out of turn.  I hope this is
not one of my 'bad' days!  My apologies to Mr Dalmas if his intentions were
purely rhetorical.

Sincerely,

Christine Labroche