From:
"Robert M. Stumpf II" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 17:27:09 -0400
Chopin: 14 Valses, Barcarolle, Nocturne Op. 27 #2, Mazurka Op.50#3.  Dinu
Lipatti.  EMI 66956.

When I was growing up, my father had a few classical LPs in his collection.
One was Lipatti playing the Grieg and Schumann piano concertos.  I remember
the sound was thin and Gawd-awful.  I wondered what possessed the man to
get it.  Now I know that he was usually guided in these matters by Martin
Bookspan's reviews that used to appear in Consumer's Report.  I was glad to
see those issued in the Philips series.  Since I didn't get a review copy,
I'll add that I am glad I purchased the set.  The concertos are really
excellent, the best performances I know.  There were many solo pieces as
well, two of which are duplicated on this EMI set, the Barcole and
Nocturne.  Listening to the two discs provides a fascinating insight
as to differences in remastering and how they affect the perception
of the performances.  The Philips recording is dryer.  There is less
reverberation.  The result is that you hear details that are smudged in
the EMI release.  While that offers some insights, the clarity comes at a
price.  Ultimately, the fact is that the Philips release lacks the sense of
"mystery" that the music gains in the EMI remastering.  The EMI release,
because it is more reverberant, is easier on the ear.  This is a
mind-boggling thing to my ears. The "sound" as presented on these discs
virtually changes the music.  I wonder if I might have reacted differently
to the other solo music on the Philips disc (it left me cold) had the
remastering been different.  On the other hand, the Philips set also
includes the Grieg and Schumann concertos, masterpieces if ever there
were any.

How does Lipatti meet the claims to his fame that I have heard so much
about?  To be honest, I prefer Kapell, an exact contemporary (the complete
Kapell Edition was reviewed by me and can be read elsewhere on this
site...I notice the discs are being issued separately of late).  Kapell
is more romantic in his interpretations, and while I like that (his Bach
foreshadows Gould) you may not.  Kapell's Chopin is memorable, Lipatti's
less so.  Listening to Lipatti again this evening, I try to pinpoint what
it is about his playing that does not move me.  I notice that his playing
is too staccato, always crisp and clear, but it is not involving, as is
Kapell's liquid touch.  I would not be without this EMI release, it offers
the finest sound to date of the late pianist.  On the other hand, I will
likely use this disc for comparisons rather than pull it out for its own
sake.  If you prefer playing less romantic, you will probably like Lipatti
more than I.

Peace,
bob stumpf
http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/maestrno/