From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 09:30:19 -0600
I've just finished listening to a Dinu Lipatti 2-CD set from the
Philips-EMI Great Pianists series.  Outside of a couple of pieces, I'd
never really listened to Lipatti.  This set gave me the opportunity to
pay close attention.

Given all the things I'd heard about this pianist, I must say that the
tracks disappointed me a bit.  He's definitely a good pianist, but is he
really one of the greats of the century? First, he plays everything like
his Chopin.  This isn't the worst thing that could happen to Bach, for
example, or even Mozart, since Lipatti's Chopin is less swoony than most -
pretty much like Cortot's or even Rubinstein's, for that matter.  He's a
musical player - that is, the line does things that I doubt he's
consciously thinking of, other than a mood or where the arch of the phrase
is.  The interpretations seem "natural," rather than "studied." On the
other hand, he doesn't inspire deep feeling in me or great passion, and I
doubt I could tell his playing from scores of middling pianists (although
this also says something about me).

I'd like to hear from Lipatti fans.  To me, his performances fail to match
the buzz.  What am I missing?

Steve Schwartz