From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 08:35:50 -0600
Bert Bailey:

>I agree with your take on this London Double Decker with BB at the helm,
>but am puzzled, more than anything, as to why some people like it.

I can tell you why *I* like it, even though I don't think it the greatest
thing since sliced bread.  At its best, as in the 3rd and 4th concerti,
the ensemble playing is incredibly sensitive, with an uncanny handoff of
musical lines from one player to another.  That all said, I'm afraid that
HIP performances are now the sound of most Bach to my ear.  I like the
transparency and springiness of a good HIP rendition.  The sound that used
to seem full now seems heavy.  On the other hand, the Britten has worn
better than other modern-instrument renditions.

Steve Schwartz