From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 23:42:07 -0400
Walter Meyer wrote:

>Am I the only reader who doesn't know what that was about?  A quick check
>of the New Grove failed to indicate any reference to a Pulitzer in their
>section on Ellington, either as w/held or rescinded.

Since he didn't receive one, I don't thing there would be any reason for
the New Grove to mention it.  They probably don't fill up their pages with
lists of awards *not* received by composers.

I just heard (or half-heard) on the radio today that he apparently has
received a posthumous "honorary Pulitzer" of some sort.  Sorry, can't be
more specific; maybe someone else has the details.  This news item quoted
his comment on being refused the actual Pulitzer as something like, "I
guess fate didn't want me to become famous too young." Apparently the
reason for his not getting the prize was that there was a rule (at least
at that time) that there couldn't be any jazz elements in the work being
honored, and nothing he wrote was free of jazz influence!

At least one list member mentioned being unfamiliar with the Pulitzer
Prize; this is probably because it is primarily a Yankee thing, and the
rest of the world doesn't pay much attention to it, I suppose.  (Neither
do I, for that matter.)

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]