From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:20:34 -0800
Alison Bowcott ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Could someone (hopefully Mr D Barker will know the answer to this) please

I'm flattered, but I'm afraid I have no idea. (Scherezade is not one
of "my"  pieces and Ormandy is not one of "my" conductors).

>tell me WHY the Ormandy/Philadelphia 1962 version on Sony Classics has
>an extra bar added in the second movement (last 3 bars have become 4!)

Is the bar a repeat of the previous, or new material?

>and a great chunk missing from the 3rd movement? It's a good performance
>otherwise, although I prefer Beecham.  I hope someone can answer this for
>me.

It wouldn't be the first time that a work has been cut for recording:
Rachmaninov not only sanctioned cuts to his 3rd piano concerto, I believe
his own recording has them (someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

And old Mr. Faithful-to-the-Text (Toscanini) notoriously large cut in
the finale of Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony.

Deryk Barker