From:
Fabio Gradel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 19:22:56 -0300
Andrew Carlan wrote:

>If females want to play by themselves, they have the right.  But I prefer
>playing with females to playing with males.  Besides, Lets see how we can
>Balkanize American musicians.  We can have
>
>1. Black and Hispanic Baroque Chamber Group
>1. Obese Persons Symphony Orchestra
>2. Bulimic Pops
>3. Older Ladies String Orchestra
(etc.)

Well, I have recently read somewhere about a group named "Gay Men Choir" or
something like that (really!), but I can't remember where they are based.
San Francisco? Maybe not, because if my memory don't fails me, I read about
it in an UK magazine.  [They are based in London.  There are a couple of
hundred such ensembles throughout the world.  Check:

   http://www.philhomoniker.org/VariousVoices/old/g01.htm

 for a partial listing.  -Dave]

>This a a joke, guys! But many a truth is hinted at in jest.

yes indeed...

Leighton M. Gill wrote [regarding the Womens' Philharmonic]:

>I have no problem with this orchestra playing existing works by overlooked
>female composers of the past.  I applaud this, too.  My issue is in hiring
>only females to play in the orchestra, and in accepting new works only from
>female composers.

I wonder if the same applies to the "Gay Men's Choir"? Do they play only
music by gay composers? If so, how can they be sure of the composer's
sexual inclinations, unless the composer is, uh, 'out-of-the-closet'? (It
is easier to identify a female composer than a gay one, I presume).  Do
they rely on historical evidence? And do they accept only gay performers?
If this is the case, I don't want to know how they verify THAT...  But
maybe a plain statement - should I say confession?:) - is enough.  If
someone has some information about that choir, it would be interesting
to share it with the rest of us.

>these women are practicing the same sort of sexism against males
>they no doubt condemn when it is directed against females.

It seems to me that such groups are more interested in making social and/or
political statements, and the music is relegated to a second place.  Anyone
agrees?

Fabio Gradel