From:
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 12:18:32 +1000
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote concerning Benjamin Lees'
music:

>...  But his concerto for string quartet and orchestra is masterly.
>Now, I wonder why no one had ever written one for this combination?

You might be able to answer your own question if you know what kind of
amplification Lees used for the quartet.  I find it hard to believe that
a simple soundboard would do it:  unless Lees is writing strongly against
the traditional perspectives of his instruments, the textures of the
two musical units are likely to be so similar & the relative power so
dissimilar that the ability to successfully balance & contrast (any
relation to lift & separate?) the solo ensemble from any reasonable sized
orchestra without artificial amplification would take a technician of
considerable virtuosity.  The concept almost makes the idea of writing
an (unamplified) guitar concerto sound easy in comparison....

All the best,

Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
<http://www.ausnet.net.au/~clemensr/welcome.htm>