From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 13:59:17 +0100
David Stewart wrote:

>Mikael Rasmusson wrote:
>
>>I must say that I'm finally convinced that the Sea Symphony is a great
>>piece of music!
>
>I agree but I think it only really picks up in the Scherzo, then the
>Finale-type-thing is brilliant.  The first part is rather too bombastic and
>not quite imaginative enough in my opinion.  Then the second one seems to
>be trying to be beautiful etc.  but just comes out sounding cheesy.  The
>VERY beginning gets annoying after a while.

I've always liked the beginning of each movement, but I thought that V-W
got lost on the way.  Also, the beginning of the first movemnet is so
breathtaking that you tend to forget about the rest f the symphony.  Now I
realised that the music is developing well, and that V-W (as usual) knows
what he's doing.  From No 3 and onwards, his symphonies are all minor or
major masterpieces.  However, I'm still puzzled by No 9 (Does the latter
still apply to you as well, Steve Schwartz?)

Mikael Rasmusson