From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 19:09:22 -0800
James Zehm wrote:

>Boerresen is a nice composer...late roamntic, inspired by Norwegian
>Johan Svendsen, but not really with the freshness that is significant
>for Svendsen.  I can recommend his Violinconcerto and 1st Symphony on
>Naxos/DaCapo.

I've recently bought the 2nd and 3rd Symphonies on cpo, inspired by
comments from a Swedish correspondent on another list.  This is one
of the most fortuitous purchases I've made in along time.  The music
is beautifully structured and full of 'big tunes' which are really
ear-catching.  For me, this man confirms the tendency of late Romantic
Nordic composers to be a little retrograde -- in the sense that they
ignored what was going on in the rest of the musical world at the time and
concentrated on their personal Muses.  Far from being a criticism, this is
a positive benefit in my book -- it has led to a rich vein of music for me
to tap into!  Not that I am averse to investigating 'new' Romantic music --
I have a pile of dics here I'm trying to listen to and catalog, courtesy of
a ridiculous spending spree at Berkshire Record Outlet -- but there are
only two days in every weekend!

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA