From:
Simon Corley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:05:40 -0800
Steven Schwartz wrote:

>Simon Corley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>Indeed.  Wasn't he related to the so called 'Ecole de Paris' ('Paris
>>school') during the 1930s? Most of them, except probably Martinu, are now
>>almost forgotten: Tibor Harsanyi, Marcel Mihalovici, Vittorio Rieti or
>>Alexandre Tansman.  To be true, I'm not sure that all these were 'members'
>>of this unformal group, but I also may have forgotten some of their
>>names...
>
>Jolivet was part of this group as well.  They all were seen to have taken
>off in some way from Stravinsky.  The three main groups in Paris at the
>time were Les Six, L'Ecole d'Arceuil, and L'Ecole de Paris.  I believe
>there was also a Jeune France, but I couldn't off-hand tell you who was
>in it.

'Les Six' appeared in 1920, but this was only a name given to them
(Milhaud, Honegger, Auric, Poulenc, Durey, Tailleferre) by a French critic.
I don't remember what was exactly understood by 'Ecole d'Arcueil', but they
were certainly disciples of Satie, who lived there (in the southern suburbs
of Paris).  The 'Ecole de Paris' consisted of foreign composers all active
in Paris at the end of the 1920s.  'Jeune France' came later (1935?).
Unlike the 'Six' or the 'Ecole d'Arcueil', the members of 'Jeune France'
(refering to Berlioz) were willing to found a group and published a
manifesto.

Concerning Jolivet, I'd say that, as a French composer, he was member of
'Jeune France' (along with Olivier Messiaen, Tony Aubin and Daniel-Lesur)
rather than member of the 'Ecole de Paris'.

Simon Corley