From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 03:06:57 -0500
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Jolivet was part of this group [Ecole de Paris] as well.  The three
>main groups in Paris at the time were Les Six, L'Ecole d'Arceuil,
>and L'Ecole de Paris.  I believe there was also a Jeune France, but I
>couldn't off-hand tell you who was in it.

Almost.  Jolivet was not part of the Ecole de Paris (this Paris school
was formed by composers from abroad), but he was one of the founders of
the Jeune France group, together with Yves Baudrier, Jean-Yves (I think)
Daniel-Lesur, and Olivier Messiaen.  There was little in common between
them, apart from a desire to rejuvenate French music, and the group was
short-lived, as far as I know.  The Ecole d'Arcueil was named after the
suburban town of Arcueil, south of Paris, where Satie lived.  Its only
member who really became famous as a serious composer was Henri Sauguet.

Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]> was wondering whether the commercial
recording of Tcherepnin's 3rd symphony, triple concerto [and Georgian
rhapsody] was a Thorofon CD.  It is (and probably the one Karl loathes so
much).

Finally, Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>I know that AT premiered his 2nd piano concerto with Nadia Boulanger
>playing the orchestral reduction--is that the same "Ecole de Paris"?

No, Nadia Boulanger taught at the Paris Conservatory and in Fontainebleau,
but apart from Conrad Beck, who is not always quoted as a member of the
Ecole de Paris, none of the others was her pupil, unless I am mistaken.

Best regards,

Thanh-Tam Le