From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:04:19 -0800
Ever have one of those afternoons when something happens that rocks the
foundation of what you fondly believe to be your musical knowledge?

There I was, quietly minding my own business and listening to the local
(very good) classical station -- WGMS -- when they announced a piece titled
'Espana' by Waldteufel.  "Oh good!", thought I -- and was then stunned by
hearing the opening notes of what I am convinced is a piece by the same
name by Chabrier!  In fact, I thought that Chabrier's piece was the crux
of his claim to musical fame, and I do remember vividly playinmg it in a
version for string quartet in my late teens, though I also have a memory
of it being an orchestral piece to beging with.

Now, before I beard WGMS in their den and take them to task -- is the
piece originally by Waldteufel? And if so, why did Chabrier bother
orchestrating it, since the piece on the radio this afternoon seemed
to be indistinguishably orchestrated from my memory of the Chabrier!

Oh dear!  More puzzlement -- and just when I thought it was safe to go back
into 19th century orchestral music!!

Confused.
Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA