From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:12:13 -0800
Donald Satz wrote:

>There was a co-worker who had expressed an interest in the Brandenberg
>Concertos and asked for my advice.  The next time I saw him I asked if he
>had purchased a set.  He replied that he decided to get the "greatest hits"
>of the Carpenters; this man has two Masters Degrees and a PHD.

Which just goes to prove my oft-repeated belief that music is an emotional
thing, not an intellectual one.  This is why it is such a serious problem
to allow exposure to classical music in schools to become a political
football, rather than a sensible and non-partisan use of school time to
educate (gee -- what a concept!)

I don't care if someone has spebt a lifetime amassing degrees or othwerwise
proving intellectual prowess.  Unless his or her emotions can be 'grabbed'
by a piece of music, it is unlikely they will pursue the matter further.
I have 'The Carpenter's' album as well, -- largely because the guitar riff
from 'Goodbye to Love' caught my emotions on the hop more years ago than I
care to remember.  The challenge is to get people to listen with open ears
-- which is a problem in itself worthy of much discussion elsewhere.

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA