From:
Lionel Choi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:29:27 +0800
Joseph Previte <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>A shakier rumor has that a live concert recording of her performing the
>Franck and a Beethoven violin sonata with Perlman is in the works.

Nothing shaky about that, and neither is it a rumour.  It's found on EMI's
official press releases.

BTW, I found the 1965 Chopin disc a big disappointment: Actually, the
shorter works were fine, but it was the 3rd Sonata that wasn't up to
scratch; it felt like a workshop session, with the pianist still trying
to figure out some things and has yet to resolve them.  It was a very
masculine approach but strangely, rather characterless.  Not terribly
riveting, and surprisingly, rather pedantic, at wilfully fluctuating
speeds often slightly on the slow side.  I notice the remastering has
made everything very clear, but a lot louder than usual, which might have
the effect of making her playing seem rather unsympathetic, cold and overly
aggressive, with dynamic range curiously limited.  I assume she didn't
perform in this way during the Chopin Competition which she won in that
very same year.

Lionel Choi
Singapore
http://www.singnet.com.sg/~lionelc/dummies.html