From:
Jane Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 23:51:54 -0500
Karl Miller wrote:

>Or will the art of music get completely lost in the business of music.

I think that is my fear for our progeny.  I listen to Yanni and see the
effect of his live performance at the Acropolis and it is emotional, a
large sound with many instruments, but not particularly crafted.  Is this
better to listen to than the brain exercises of Mozart? It doesn't seem to
have subtleties or technique to render innovative chords, combinations of
scales, complexity of scales and does not command pianistically, the
knowledge of tone production or clarity IMHO.  Is grand scale staging,
lighting, acoustical aids and use of modern electronic boxes going to
suffice in the future, for the muscianship needed to perform the cm
literature on traditional instruments we now experience on the concert
stage? This too, is part of the music business I think you are referring
to.  Am I right?

Jane Pierce