From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 00:11:48 -0800
Donald Satz wrote:

>As we enter the 21st century, will the insiders determine the direction
>classical music takes or will the inbetweeners be in control? If the
>insiders do not take control, the direction will undoubtedly be toward
>crossover, fusion, and eclecticism.  Perhaps the insiders would take this
>direction also.  However, I think it will make a great deal of difference
>which group emerges with the power.

I find this statement, (and the subject), mindboggling!  It sounds like
something out of a supremacist guide.

Are you implying that there *should* be a fight or otherwise CM will lose
its purity?

What if France had never let those Chinese have their exposition in
France while the young Debussy was finding his way as a composer; or what
if Gershwin never hung out with the Africans; Bartok and Vaughan Williams
had no time for the smelly peasants; or Bach!  What if Bach held a contempt
for the music of the Italians, French, and English? (I sure would have
saved money by not having to buy those 2-CD concerto sets!)

Take language.  English had been so successful as a language because it
doesn't try to remain pure.  It borrows what works and discards what is
obsolete.

Maybe the industry isn't so bad after all.

Maybe I'm part of the conspiracy....