From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 16:47:08 -0800
Regarding Brahms' Symphonies D. Stephen Heersink seconds Andrew Carlan's
remarks:

>I think "propulsion" is precisely the problem, which often translates,
>for me at least, into boredom.

I can't believe what I am reading!

Now, I'm the first to admit that I can be mystified by some very
respectable works of music but I have to say that, regarding the Brahms
symphonies, the music is not only beyond reproach, but is also very
inviting to this listener.

The whole second symphony is an essay in inspiration and forward motion!
What about the first mov't of the 4th--the final mov't of the 1st.

Then the slow mov'ts!  the 2nd mov't of the 3rd IMHO says more that
the whole of Beethoven's 6th.  It is so seamless.  There's the word I am
looking for--seamless.  Brahms conceals the interlocking parts so well,
(art concealing art), that I am willing to bet that these gentlemen are not
yet aware of the forward motion, or propulsion in music that has gained the
respect and admiration of academians and laymen for a *long* time.

Have someone that knows these works well coach you through them--I have
gained much appreciation of difficult music in this way.

John Smyth