From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:20:13 -0800
Steve Schwartz:

>For the longest time, I too disliked Brahms, especially the symphonies.
>
>....  Our perceptions of composers change over the years, simply because
>we (at least I hope so) change.  Tchaikovsky was my favorite composer when
>I was a child.  I sniggered at him in adolescence and as a young adult.
>I now think him one of the most important and innovative composers of the
>19th century ...

I wish Steve could share his epiphany, since as someone who loves
everything Brahms wrote (well, may be apart from some of the Hungarian
dances, exercises etc), I still can't bring myself to enjoy the first
movement of the 1st symphony.  It sounds to me as corny and superficially
emotional as anything by Tchaikovsky.  So there may be an insight here
which I am missing and which might bring me to like this movement (and
maybe even begin to enjoy Tchaikovsky as a bonus?)

By the way, does anyone else agree that the Tragic Overture is as great
a symphonic mvmnt as any that Brahms wrote? I wish he had used *that*
as the opening of the 1st symphony; transposed to C minor it might
actually have fit in quite well.

Ulvi