From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:42:32 -0800
Don Satz:

>Some folks have a strong hostility with Bach's organ works: morbid,
>depressing, and draining.  Ellen Jane, my wife, is one of those persons.

My (completely unscientific) observation is that women generally hate
the sound of solo organ; it hardly matters whether the music is Bach or
somebody else, women just don't want any of it.

Another (equally unscientific) observation: women don't get along well
with Bruckner's music; but then again Bruckner was an organist...

Instrument-phobia can be a real obstacle (for both men and women); I have
a problem with tenors and sopranos, which interferes with my enjoyment of
a good deal of great music.  I can't say I "like" the sound characteristics
of solo organ (the more "open" the registration, the less I like it; mute
it as much as possible, then I'm happy), but I'm OK enough with it to enjoy
Bach (thank god).  However, I can only listen when my wife is away...

Ulvi